Monday, September 7, 2009

Indian Cuisine... Yum!

After being away for so long, I'm back with my account of what I did this past weekend.
Today is Labor Day, and holiday weekends being the way that they are, everybody wants to go out and do something fun. So on Saturday, some people went to the beach, some to a theme park, and well others to the circus. I was not among the early birds who hit the beach or theme park as soon as they could. I on the other hand had errands to run. The cable company was supposed to come set up my cable between the hours of 11am and 2pm, after which I was to go explore Washington D.C. with Mr. Or so I thought. The cable guy didn't get to my aprtment till about 2:45pm, and what should have taken him 1 hour to complete, ended up taking almost 3 hours. 'Why?' You ask. Because my cable company in their effort to save money, while at the same time rip people off,gives their technicians refurbished cable modems. Apparently, the cable modems the guy brought with him had not been checked so he ended up trying like 4 cable modems before the last one worked. Let me just say it was a long 3 hours waiting for everything to be fixed. Lesson learnt: patience.

Anyway, after the cable guy left, Mr. and I began to go over our options of what we could do next. We thought about going to D.C. but decided not to because it was already late to do most of the sight-seeing we wanted to do. Then he reminded me that we'd been planning to go to an Indian restaurant for some time now. So we figured we'd check one out. Okay quick bckground information: I love Indian cuisine... I eat it at least twice a month, Mr. on the other hand had never had Indian cuisine. I went online and found this restaurant called Memsahib. I clicked on their website and saw what they had to offer. It was the total Indian dining experience... Here it goes:

When we got there, we were welcomed into something right out of an Indian family room. Instead of tables and chairs like in a restaurant there were cushoined benches and pillows, with low round tables. The decor was very warm and inviting with orange/amber walls and dim lamps hanging from the ceiling. After we took our seats, one of the servers, (who I think is one of the sons of the family) came and asked for what we would like to drink. I ordered a mango lassi while Mr had orange juice. Then the guy returned to explain the menu to us, we were to have six courses that evening. First he started us out by washing our hands since we were to use our hands to eat. Then came the first course which was an assorted tray of cooked eggplant in tomato sauce, cucumbers and bell peppers in a cumin dressing, carrots in a coriander dressing and chicken kebab. Hmmmmm delicious! My favorites were the cucumbers and the chicken kebab. I wouldn't make your mouth water unnecessarily with the details of the menu, here's a link if you would like to check it out: http://www.memsahibrestaurant.com/rockville.php.

In addition to the wonderful meal, it felt like we were in an Indian home with Bollywood dance videos being played back to back on the flat screen tv and projector screen. Towards the end of our six course dinner, a bellydancer came out and thrilled the guests. The atmosphere changed and it felt like a party. Although what we were celebrating, I don't know. She invited almost all the guests to dance with her, and when she came to our table, Mr. kept looking away from her. He said jokingly, that his mother told him not to look. I guess he was not comfortable watching a woman wiggle her waist in front of him. All in all, the night went well and I'm sure Mr. left with a positive impression of Indian cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment