Wednesday, October 21, 2009

All In God's Time (Part 2)

...



"I said, I gave him your number...look anyway babes I have to run! My lunch break is over! He might call you soon so please answer your phone." And with that Toke hung up. Baffled, all Labake could do was to hold her phone in mid-air and wonder at her friend. Only Toke could do such a thing and still order her to talk to a complete stranger. She made a mental note to call her friend after work to sort it out to her. Toke needs to understand that she can't just give her phone number to random strangers. With that she looked to her cold meal and continued eating as she day dreamed about her beau and how he will come sweeping her off her feet. Before she knew it, her one hour lunch break was over and she had another 3 hours of work ahead of her.



***


Toke couldn't just contain her excitement. She kept wondering when Prince Osa will call her friend. She's known Labake all her life, they practically grew up together. Both their mums were really close friends. She remembered when they were both 7 years old and they would go out the back door of Labake's family's duplex in Ikeja, Lagos to the large backyard. There they would play hide and seek. Yes, through the years they had bumps along the way but they got over them and here they today. She's really the sister Toke never had, being the only girl in a family of 4 children. And although she loves her friend dearly, one thing she couldn't quite wrap her mind around was her friend's determination to wait for God's timing to bring her Mr. Right to her. After all they say Heaven helps those who help themselves. Honestly she thinks Labake should get out more... Go to parties, meet new people, really meet more guys. She needs to stop locking herself in on Friday and Saturday nights like an old lady. After all, there's nothing wrong in living your life when you're young. God understands. Right God? Just as she was thinking, she glances at the clock on her computer's monitor. Five o'clock. Time to meet up with Dotun for their coffee date. Whether they will be drinking coffe is another topic she's not going to dwell on.
As Labake pulled into her driveway she felt her phone vibrate on her lap. Her mind raced to her conversation with Toke earlier that day. Could it be Prince Osa calling her so soon? If it was what would she say? Should she entertain him or just shut him down before he even opens his mouth. As odd as it sounds, she wasn't in the mood to talk to this particular guy. She wants a man but really this guy? But a conversation couldn't hurt... Just before the last vibration, she pressed the answer button without looking at the caller ID window.
"Hello?"
"Hello Labake?" Disappointment and relief flooded her heart. It was her mom.
"Mom! Isn't it late for you to be up? I hope everything is ok."
"Everything is ok my dear. I just wanted to tell you that I'll be coming to the US this Saturday. I need to come in for my annual check-up and well, use that to see my baby."
"Oh ok... I'll prepare your room. It'll be nice to have you around mom. It's so lonely here sometimes." Excitement began to build quietly in her. Having her mom around wouldn't be so bad. They could go shopping together and do girly things. Oh the comfort of a mother!
"Well ok my dear. I'm going to bed now... I just wanted to let you know of my plans... Save the gists o!"
Labake giggled. "Ok mom. Sleep tight! Tell dad I send my love! I love you!"
"I love you too dear. Good night!"
Calls like this makes Labake miss her family so much. She's so ready to see her mom. Now she has to get her house ready for her mother.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh... and the anticipation builds! Next chapter please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Thanks love! Part 3 is coming up soon.... Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete