Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Conversations with God




Recently I just read a book titled "Never the Bride" by Cheryl Mckay and Rene Gutteridge. It was a totally amazing experience. The authors did a great job mixing humor with some very sound core truths about God's heart for us. The book is about a young lady, Jessie, who is single and seriously searching for her Mr. Right. She has a huge crush on her best friend (a guy), Blake, who doesn't see her as a potential mate and so she spends her time dating other men while at the same time waiting for Blake. Her life takes a turn for the better as she develops a living, real, relationship with God. God actually appears to her in human form and that's how their relationship starts. Now I'm not going to ruin it for you, so go get a copy.

There are some things that just struck me in the book though. One of them being the reality of her relationship with God. The relationship was so real and so honest it was quite refreshing. Maybe because she didn't have the religious background that most of us have. When we pray (which is conversation with God) we tend to be very formal, like we put on this air and hardly do we wait for a reply. In the book though because she could see God in a physical body, her conversations with Him were so much more real (for a lack of a better word). I mean you see her letting it all out, the disappointments, her questions, her adoration. His responses are real too. It's funny because people around her began to think she was losing her mind due to stress and depression. She on the other hand is caught up in the most romantic relationship of her life. This book really challenged me about my relationship with God. Have I gotten stuffy in my conversations with God? Instead of presenting myself as I am, have I been reading scripts to Him?

The more I ponder on this, the more I realize that I have. I yearn for that type of living relationship with God, not the one where I'm just always interceding. Don't misquote me, intercession is very vital to the body of Christ; you will be surprised how your interceding has given someone else a breakthrough. But I don't want to intercede so much that I lose out on hearing Him talk to me on a daily basis from the mundane things in life to the big issues. God is just as much interested in the tiny details of my life as He is in solving world hunger. So today, my charge to myself and to you dear reader is that we approach our heavenly Father's throne just as we are and just bare it all to Him.


"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need" (Hebrews 4:16)

4 comments:

  1. Really Nice! We tend to read scripts to God...and run away before He has the chance to reply. We are more interested in letting it all out rather than giving him time to have a conversation with us. ...Nice perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks beloved! Would you read the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece, G-funk! Inspiri ng us to have a real and unsuperfluous (for lack of what the word to express that would be) relationship with God. I'd love 2 read the book....do U have an amazon link or somewhere I can get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. CeeJay, if you just do a search for the book it should come up in Google.

    ReplyDelete