Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What makes your heart race?

Before I dive into today's thoughts, ponder on this quote:
"Do you know that if you become a favourite of God, he will make excuses for you” said P.E (Pastor Emeka). -Pulled from: http://babajidesalu.wordpress.com/

Have you ever thought about what makes your heart race? Like something that you enjoy doing so much that when you think of it you get excited like a kid in a candy store. There are passions and dreams that I believe each human being has to make an impact on humanity. They're like our fingerprints; long after we're gone, generations after us will see them and will remember us. When I think of people like Michael Jackson and C.S. Lewis (both very different characters I know) I can only imagine the amount of passion that was in them. I think of someone like Billy Graham, Maya Angelou, Mothe Theresa, and all the people who have left a mark on us. Of all of them I think of Jesus Christ who left the greatest mark of all. God gives us all passion and He wants us to discover them and use them for His glory.

I have found that it is okay to not know what our passion is initially. Maybe we're restrained in some way, by our obligations to our family and society. Sometimes it takes not knowing and just jumping into the unknown to reconnect you with that moment in eternity when God put your very own dream inside you. Eccl. 3:11 says, "....God has set eternity in the hearts of men." I believe this verse is saying that God put a question about our purpose and passion in our hearts so that we can then turn to Him for the answer. So if you find yourself in that place of asking what am I really passionate about? You're in a great place.

For me, I knew a bit about my passions. As a little girl I always wanted to sing. I would stand in the garage of my house and sing my heart out, most of the songs were little made up songs. I jumped at every opportunity I got to sing in a choir. Once my father asked me what I wanted to study in school and I told him music. He laughed and said I can always do music later but he wants me to find something more professional. Looking back now, I wonder what may have happened if he had agreed with me. Yea, I can only wonder. So I went on to study Computer Science at the university. Was that my passion? No. My passion remained music. There were times I lost focus but it was always there, drawing me gently. It still wakes me up at night and trails my every step.

Is that my only passion? No. I have just disocvered that I also enjoy writing. School made me hate writing; all the restricted topics and grades just sapped the fun out of writing for me. But now that I'm out of school, I get to write when I want and how I want. I don't have to worry about a teacher snobbing my work. For me it is a way of expressing myself. Sometimes something really good happens and I just want to run to my journal and scribble or run here and let it all out. What I'm going to do with it I'm still working it out with the Lord of the Universe. One thing I'm certain about though is that I am more than grateful for giving me passions that make my heart race.

No comments:

Post a Comment